Thursday, September 23, 2010

Baby on an Airplane

I have to say, Patrick did wonderfully on the airplane rides!
He did have a couple of fussy moments, and two nice and loud crying/screaming episodes. The fussy moments were easy enough to distract him from, the crying episodes were not. He tended to get very upset when he had to be strapped in and could not be bounced. He was also quite distraught when he woke up once. Poor guy just wanted to be snuggled and fed like he usually is in the middle of the night.

All in all though, he did very well and was quite happy. On the first flight there were three Brazilian women across the aisle from us. They were so in love with Patrick! They kept playing with him from across the aisle, blowing him kisses and making faces at him. This kept him distracted most of the flight. Awesome!
Towards the end they asked if they could hold him. Much to their delight, he gave all of them kisses! What a sweetie =)

On the long flight there was an Asian man in the seat behind me who Patrick just loved. Every time I looked back the man was just smiling, but I swear he was making faces at the baby, because Patrick kept laughing, sticking out his tongue, and making all kinds of funny faces. He was very entertained by this man most of the time he was awake.
The long flight was exhausting, not because the baby didn't sleep, he did (in a nice little baby bed the airline provided) No, the problem was that *I* could not sleep. I woke up every 5 minutes making sure Patrick was ok. Or, if I had to hold him while he slept, I couldn't sleep because I didn't want to drop him!
By the last little leg of the trip, Patrick was so very tired. He slept until the last 10 minutes of the flight.

Despite being so very sleepy myself, it really did go better than I expected.
Have baby, will travel!

0 comments: